2014년 3월 19일 수요일

per se

Per Se


What does that mean?
 
"~~ per se"  means  "~~ in itself"  / "~~ in and of itself" 
I don’t like baseball per se.
I don’t like baseball in itself.
I don’t like baseball in and of itself.
I don’t like baseball intrinsically.

The game of baseball is not fun. But going to a baseball game and experiencing the thrill, the excitement, the food, the smell, the sounds, that’s great!
"I don’t like something per se , however ~~."

A: Shane  you’re going to a baseball game. l I thought you didn't like baseball.
S: I don’t like baseball per se, but I love going to the game.

When we’re arguing or when we want clarify how we feel about something so if you are arguing or debating something this is very useful expression.

  • For more examples !! 
  • I don’t like something per se, however ~~. 
  • I’m not against politics per se, but these day’s politics and business are too friendly.
  • I’m not rich per se but I have everything I need.
  • Studying per se does not guarantee success you need real life experience too.
  • Guns per se are not dangerous but gun owners can be.

Here is dialogue.

A : Should I throw this away?
B : Don't touch that t-shirt.  
A : Why not? It's not worth anything! It's a rag! 
B : It may not be valuable per se, but it means a lot to me. 


A: 이거 버려도 될까?
B: 그 티셔츠 만지지마!
A: 왜안되? 이거 그럴 가치없어. 누더기라구!
B: 티셔츠자체는 가치없을진 몰라도, 나한테 그건 의미가 크다구.



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기